Friday, April 25, 2008

the sign spinner guy...

Sign Spinner Guy oh sign spinner guy, where the hell did all of you come from!?
I ask myself at least once a day as I pass by that oh so enthusiastic sign spinner (you know that 45-60 year old man or woman wearing headphones and a fanny pack jamming out to god knows what while directing traffic to the jewelry store, who is having a blow out sale, just around the corner.), I ask myself, "where the hell do they find these people?" And how do there seem to be so many people who need signs spun for them? What happened to a good old fashion billboard or banner of some sort? How are these interviews conducted, what do they consist of? I imagine is something like this:
"So I'm here for the sign spinning position"
"Ok, let's see what you got" ~at this point the man who hires out the sign spinners hand the applicant a sign and turns on "foot loose" or "fame" and the applicant spins like a mad man (or woman). If his moves are sweet enough he gets the job. Well, just as long as he has the other requirements- fanny pack and headphones from the early ninties. It just reminds you that dreams really do come true.
I also wonder if perhaps there is some ongoing, underground sign spinning competition betwixt all the spinners. Do they meet at a vacant corner two miles down from a location they wish guide people and spin their asses off until one spinner guides more cars to the location than the other and do they call this "Spintopia"? Or maybe "Spinnmania", there are so many options. I just want to get to go to one of them.
These are all important questions.
I really am interested in gathering some information on whether or not the sign spinner actually works as a way to get people to your store or what not. If, perhaps, there is a high percentage than maybe I will hire one out for the evening. Take him to Jack Rabbit or even Casey Moores and have some attractive, single men directed toward me. I'm not sure what I want the sign to say though. Easy? No, too blunt. Hmm, On the rebound? No, just not attractive. Well, I can work out the details later. First I have to find the perfect sign spinner guy, the rest will all kinda fall into place.
I wonder how much they charge?

No comments: