Friday, April 25, 2008

Airport Average...

I remember my brother one time asking me if I'd rather marry an average looking millionaire or the best looking man in the world who was penniless. I answered his question with a question, 'what is their personality like?'. Equal he says. They are completely the same man but one is average looking and rich and the other is drop dead gorgeous and basically homeless. I stuggled with this question, mostly because I was 14 and I wanted to answer in the most impressive and intelligent way possible to impress my older brother.
This is the older brother who used to tell a joke and when I would laugh he would always call me out in front of everyone he'd say "why is that funny?" and of course I was just laughing because everyone else was laughing and had no idea what they were talking about and thusly I would be humiliated. So I was going to answer this one right. Being someone who has never been overly impressed by good looks, fun to look at but not too fun to talk to sometimes, I began to answer that I would take the average millionaire my reasoning being that at least he would be me appreciative of me since I would be the catch. But then Brig said something that has stuck with me forever and I find it to be one of the truest and funniest observations. He said, "before you answer, I'm not talking about the average looking guy that you are friends with or even the most average kid at your high school, I'm talking airport average." Airport average! I didn't quite get it at first but then I took a little trip to CA to see my cousins and I looked around and I noticed...the average at the airport is not and I mean NOT good. It's not even not good, it's terrible. You have people from all walks of life gathered together and when that happens the beauty average takes a significant hit. You've got the 300lb man with suspenders on with his wife in long bottonm pants and a tucked in buttened up sink floral blouse, some people are missing teeth. You have the scary little men who look as though their only option for a career would be as a motivational speaker for odd business seminars. You have it all. I still giggle everytime I think about the phrase "airport average". But this brings me to my next point....Jury Duty Average. WOW! (by the way I know full well that I sound like a total bitch right now) Jury Duty Average puts Airport Average to shame. If they were to meet on the street, Airport Average would just walk away slowly with it's tail between it's legs because he could stand NO chance against the amazing lows of Jury Duty Average.
At least Airport Average had people who could afford to fly so maybe that raised the average a bit. They had some sort or income so they must at one tie or another have to look presentable for their boss or someone. But the people that attend Jury Duty (aside from myself because I am just simply terrified of being fined or jailed for not doing my civic duty) are there because they are probably on welfare and they can make a quick $21.16 by showing up.
So, Brig, I have chosen. I'll take a penniless drop dead gorgeous guy any day over a millionaire airport or jury duty average looking guy. I'm not vain, it just plain scares me. And plus, who says I can't be the sugar momma :)

No comments: